If you run an online business, you must be knowing what SEO activities are and how they benefit you and help increase revenue. SEO in layman terms is a technique that pushes your website to top on Google and other search engines. Now, what is an SEO Audit or Website Audit? Well, to make it simple, Website Audit is the bit by bit analysis of your website or you can say it is taking your site through a thorough health check-up. Website Audit helps you find out where your business stands in the web and how to improve your online status.
What it checks,
- Coding – To ensure, the website has no unnecessary codes that affect the speed and performance.
- Url Structure – To make sure, all the pages in your website have unique urls.
- User Experience – Whether the website is user friendly with easy navigation and great look and feel.
- Content – To check, these are unique, well managed to communicate the offerings and keyword rich (but not keyword stuffed) to attract search engines.
- Meta Elements – To ensure, these are unique and for each page and within the specified characters (there is a prescribed character limit for Meta elements).
- Text formatting – To ensure, the website text is not plain text and is properly formatted using the H1, H2….H6 tags along with bold and italic font for important points (wherever applicable. Also that the text in the website is properly arranged into paragraphs, tables etc.
- Image – Whether the images used in the sliders/carousel (if any) and other pages of the website are optimized properly with Alt tags and descriptive names.
- Social Media Plugins/buttons/links - To ensure the website is well maintained and active in Social Medias and can be easily followed from any page of the website.
- Unique logo and favicon.
- No follow links for Blog comments, External links, Banner ads and pages with duplicate/no content and like.
- Broken links, 301/302 redirects, custom 404 redirects, Canonical tags, Ads and Pop-ups shown on the site etc.
- Internal linking and Google Authorship status.
- Sitemap (html and xml), breadcrumb, robots.txt, Google Analytics integration, registration for Google Webmaster tools.
The above list is just a brief of what a Website Audit expert does. For a complete analysis and issue fixing you can hire a SEO expert or refer the above said points to work on your own.